Friday, January 18, 2013

Going off the Deep End.

I've had this idea in my head since we ran out of beeswax sheets that I kept ignoring because I felt like it might be a little "out there" or "too complicated" but as I was writing my "master to-do list" and about to write down "buy new candle making kit" I added "/look up how to make candles."

And it was just about at that moment that I thought I had jumped off the deep end.

On top of making nearly everything from scratch in the kitchen, we've been making our own toothpaste for nearly six years now, after reading the back of a toothpaste label and recognizing just about all of the ingredients. Shortly after that, I started making salve and lotion after attending a fantastic workshop at a summer NOFA conference (where I also learned how dang easy it was to make my own butter, cheese, and yogurt!) We switched from shampoo and conditioner to Dr. Bronner's and Apple Cider Vinegar a few years ago, and this past year we've added laundry detergent and dishwashing powder to that DYI list.

Well, I had thought that perhaps we had reached the limit of DYI household items that were possible to accomplish with three kids (and the associated work of) in tow. Any more and I would be certifiable, right? I mean, who in their right mind spends hours on making something that you can run out to the store and buy?? Some day I would like to take it to the next level of DIY/self-sufficiency but it would just be too hard with these littles underfoot, right? Right??



Well. I looked up how to make candles the night before yesterday. And the yesterday, the kids and I dipped our own candles.

And I don't think I'll ever go back to buying the beeswax sheets again. (Although I may buy some of the shapelier hand-dipped from the honey folks at the farmer's market for special occasions.)

It was so easy, it entertained us for a few hours, and was done almost entirely by the big kids (with Lyra's supervision.)


It was that simple. And what a fantastic and deeply visceral experience for the big kids. They will know in their bones what it takes to create something with their own hands to satisfy a need, what it means to be self sufficient. They will not have the hesitation I have about starting up a new project because nothing will be new to them. This is just life.

I took the time during set-up, when they were so enthralled with the project that I had their undivided attention, to tell them a story from Starhawk's book, Circle Round, about Brigit, as Imbolc is approaching and it seemed quite fitting. While I prepped the hemp by giving it an initial dip in the hot wax, they absorbed the tale of a brother and sister discovering their own inner spark and ability to work and accomplish into this experience.

Perhaps the story will have left an impression, a "muscle memory", within the children that will be revisited every time the candles are lit?

What sweet thoughts that leaves me with!



While I was watching my (almost!) five year old and my six year old dip and dip and dip the hemp into the melted wax I learned that I still have so much to learn. I still have a long ways on this homestead journey.

What fun!

I can not wait to figure out what other things I can take back from the hustle and bustle of the modern consumerist society. What other day to day ways can I adopt to make the family slow down and take notice of how things work, where things come from, and how they can "make do" on their own? What do you all do?

One idea that has been in the back of my mind is making a large rag rug. Our dog spilled a jar full of oil on our playroom carpet, and that stain is never coming out. I've got a lot of torn sheets, old towels, and yards of cotton taking up space on shelves. How cool would it be to be able to play on a rug that you made?

What is on your list of things to learn to do and create?



Life is work.
Life is life.
Life is.



3 comments:

  1. Life is never-ending toil according to the Buddhists. Which is a truth for which the quicker you accept it, the quicker you will find peace, calmness, and place in the world. We are not working towards a Utopia of constantly laying the fields watching the clouds and sipping from the mountain streams. Our Utopia is one of striving activism to show a different and better way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chellsea, any chance you could share your recipes for dishwashing soap, laundry powder and toothpaste? I've been starting to research these, among other things, more now that I have moved into the Otisco homestead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You read my mind, Frank! I've got them on the queue.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...